Press release distribution is a vital part of any holistic marketing strategy. Press release distribution costs between $49-$600 depending on the PR distribution service used. Press releases are most distributed between Wednesday and Thursday. Most business owners, PR agencies and marketers use press release distribution as a vital part of their brand awareness strategy to help them connect with the media and their audience as well.
What Is Press Release Distribution?
Press release distribution is the process of sending out press releases to journalists. It’s that simple. However, press release distribution has evolved over the years with the use of technology to fast-track connection and delivery of releases to journalists.
Press releases are distributed with the sole purpose of gaining media coverage both online and the traditional media which includes radio, TV, news bulletins, podcasts and blogs. Effective press release distribution helps brands connect with relevant influencers and journalists in their industry and ultimately, boost their brand visibility.
Benefits of Distributing A Press Release
Will anybody get to see your press release when not shared around? No one will see a release that is not distributed and that means loss of potential brand exposure, audience connection and media traction.
Press releases are considered as one of the most trusted sources of information by journalists. Over 44% journalists trust press releases as a valid source of information as the release comes officially from the company and not any intermediate source.
Press releases when used the right way can help pivot a brand to prominence and relevancy. Smart business owners, marketers and PR agencies distribute their press release as they understand the immense benefits of press release distribution.
Here are a few benefits of distributing a press release
- Gain Media Mentions
If a press release is good as it should be, it should help you gain mentions with the media since that is your primary target. When you distribute your press release through an effective press release distribution service, you should be able to gain publications on news sites with mentions and even backlinks directing people back to your site.
- Local Relevancy
Press release distribution helps you gain relevance both locally and nationally depending on how your business operates. Google has over 200 ranking signals and press releases have been used by thousands of local business owners in boosting their Google Map rankings as they get to receive mentions from each press release they distribute.
- Boost Authority And Industry Brand Strength
The more you put out your company news the better it helps your brand strength and industry authority. When you have an event in your company and you share it with the media it helps you gain a kind of industry authority and this will lead to increase in brand awareness and trust.
- Boost Your SEO
Google released a guideline in 2013 stating press releases are not to pass SEO juice anymore. From that time henceforth, links gained in press releases were changed from Do-Follow to No-Follow and people went crazy with the thinking Press Release SEO is dead- that is not true as lots of things has changed since then.
You cannot use press release for SEO like the cheater SEO guys of Pre-2013 days, but you can use it to improve your Google Map Citations Score, increase your relevancy as you publish content related to your business, gain even No-Follow links from authority news sites which give you some level of authority and the big good news is that, Google and Bing announces they will soon start using media mentions as a ranking factor.
- A Press Release Can Help You Generate More Sales
The end-journey should have an impact in sales or conversion. A stronger brand will convert higher compared to a weak or an unknown brand and this is very simple to understand. When you have more conversation with your audience or mentions from influencers you get more sales as more people trust your business.
How Does Press Release Distribution Work?
Press release distribution works in two different ways. Some people prefer to stick with one of the two while others use both at the same time. Sending out a release can be done through newswire services or press release distribution services like NewswireJet, PR Newswire, eReleases, PR Web, Newswire.com, e.t.c.
How to send out a press release
- Newswire Publication/Syndication Services: Newswire publication/syndication or press release distribution services helps you fast track gaining media attention and traction. They have an ongoing relationship with hundreds of media outlets and are able to send out press releases and sometimes with guaranteed publication on the news media sites.
Some of these services include NewswireJet, PR Newswire, eReleases, and PR Web. You get a report showing all the picks and analytics detailing coverage and submission desks. The cost for these services starts from $49 to as high as $600 depending on the provider you decide to go with.
- Media Database or PR CRM Software Providers: Theses type of services specializes in providing software solutions that help business owners or PR Pros to build relationships with journalists in their industry. Unlike the first approach, this takes one-one conversation with journalists and building relationships over a period of time.
While this takes longer to achieve, it is also an effective way of gaining media coverage and the services often charge on a monthly or annual basis. Such services are provided by Cision, MuckRack or Prowly.
How To Find Journalists In Your Industry
If you choose to get the word out about your release by building relationships with journalists on your own, you will need to understand how to effectively find journalists who will be interested in your story. Journalists are always on the lookout for news and they have their daily target for this as well, do you can tap into their hunger for newsworthy materials?
Through MuckRack: Muckrack describes itself as the Google of the PR industry. As mentioned on their site, “MuckRack is to the PR world what Google is as a search engine”. You can get people’s email address through MuckRack with a cost up to #600/month. This kind of system requires consistency as you will need time to connect to build a credible relationship. Using services like these can prove highly important in boosting a company’s relation with the media as indicated by the C.EO.O of a top real estate skip tracing service provider, Skiptracing Pro, James Woodward.
- Find Journalists Who Might Be Interested In Your Story.
Here is the hard truth every PR pro faces, not every journalist will be interested in your story, and this should not be difficult to figure out. Basically, you will need to search for journalists within your industry. Journalists who cover topics related to your industry.
- Use Media Database Services: You can use Prowly.com, MuckRack or Cision to find journalists’ contacts that you can start relating with. You can export those contacts if possible to your CRM tool or Excel sheet or connect with them where you purchased the contact. Prowly.com offers a PR CRM and Media Database at the same time.
- Reach Out To Them With News They Cover: If you have any story related to what your media list covers, you can reach out with a personalized message which converts better than general messages.
When Is The Best Time To Distribute A Press Release?
According to Conversion Hub, the best time to send out a press release is between Tuesday and Thursday. Most people would think Monday is the first day in week, why not send out on Monday. Most people try to get their week planned out on Monday and might not be in the proper work mood. Most times, emails pile up through late Friday, over the weekend and it might not be effective to start competing with those mails.
- Tuesday stands out as the best day to send out a release, then followed by Wednesday and Thursday. The day with the highest open rate is Wednesday.
- The best time to send out your release is between 9:00am, or 8:00pm EST.
- You should be conversant with the time zone of your target audience before sending out your release.
What Is The Best Press Release Distribution Service?
According to Smallbizgenius.com, NewswireJet.com ranks top above other six press release distribution companies considering the price, ease-of-use, customer support, and coverage.
What is a Press Release?
A press release is a document that is sent to members of the press—more commonly known as media these days to include newspapers, television, radio, Internet news sites, etc.—to alert them of news or other information that may be of interest to their readers, viewers or listeners.
Press releases can be written in different formats depending on the purpose and target audience. Press releases are used by companies in different ways as it has gained more prominence mixing up with the digital movement. A press release can be sent written in text or created as a video which helps is better than text in terms of engagement.
Types of Press Releases
- Standard Press Release: A standard press release is a release sent out to announce an event that has taken place. Standard press releases are used for announcements such as a new hire, or product launch
- Embargoed Press Release: An embargoed PR is a release sent out to the media for an event scheduled for a later date. In such cases the PR will be tagged with a release date so the journalist will keep up with the company until there is an official announcement.
- Media Advisory: This is a different type of release as it is only done to invite the media to an event. The details of the event are included in the release and the media can publish about the event.
Need Help Writing Your Press Release? Let Our Team Help You Out
Best Press Release Format for Submission
Press releases are often written following a standard as this helps journalists while checking through their mail of releases. A press release should be written in the reportage language and not as a self-promoting piece.